Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Worry Wart

I've always wondered why someone who worries a lot is called a "worry wart."
1. Worrying does not cause warts...possibly ulcers, but not warts
2. Warts are a really nasty thing to think about and/or have. What if someone worries about getting warts b/c they're so nasty...will they get one b/c they worried?

Hmm....just some thoughts I have...lol

Worrying is something I do a lot. I worry about my past, the present, and the future. I'm not very good at taking things as they are; I always want to influence the outcome so that it goes my way. I'm well aware that I shouldn't do this...I should take it as God gives it to me and not worry. However, that's like taking cake away from a fat boy...it's just not gonna happen! ha ha. I've been praying a lot lately about my future and for God to give me the patience to wait for him to open my eyes to the path that lays before me instead of forcing myself down a path that I want.
One of my favorite verses in the Bible is Matthew 6:34, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." However, it leaves me questioning the word "trouble"...I really wish they had picked a synonym that has a more positive connotation. When I looked it up in the thesaurus, I found many options (ironically enough, "worry" was one of them lol). A few that I wish were used, instead, were: inconvenience (we can all deal with a little inconvenience), woe (just because it sounds cool lol), attention, thought (easy enough), or blemish (I mean, any blemish can be fixed with the right makeup ;) ha ha). Despite my hatred of the word "trouble," I still love this verse. I feel comfort knowing that God is there for me and is telling me not worry.

In the wise words of Scarlett O'Hara, "I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow...after all, tomorrow is a new day."

I just have to keep saying it to myself every day...lol

1 comment:

Your comments make my day!