Saturday, October 6, 2012

Saying Goodbye


One of the hardest parts of being a foster mom is saying goodbye to the child.
No matter how good of home they are going to, you will always worry about their fate, and you will mourn your loss.

We got word last week that Baby C will be returning home on Tuesday.

I picked her up from the hospital last year at 4 pounds. She miraculously survived after having been born at a pound and a half and had fought for her life in the NICU for two months prior to coming home with us.  She's come a long ways since then! She will turn 1 this month, and now weighs 14 pounds!

It's strange that I remember her being too small to fill out preemie clothes, but I honestly can't remember those times. I look back at pictures, but I still can't imagine it. 

I got to see many of her firsts--her first time to roll over, first time to sit up, first time to scoot, first time to crawl, first tooth, first word, first time to pull up, and first official hug. Unfortunately, I won't get to see any more of her firsts. 

Baby C, I hope you know how much you have blessed my life.  Your laugh can brighten even the darkest of days!  You have brought me more joy and happiness than you will ever know.  

I know you won't have memories of us, but I hope you will always feel our unconditional love for you. 

Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that is heartbreaking. :( But she is lucky that you were there to give her a loving home! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, this post made me tear up a little bit. But imagine how dramatically different her life may have been if there hadn't been someone like you there to give her that wonderful first year. She may not remember you, but you changed her life - maybe even helped to make sure she had one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are an angel. I had neighbors who were foster parents and I would watch the transformations those kids would make. A lot of them were in the pre-teen age and so angry. And they would find out what it was like to be in a loving family and it would completely change them.
    you are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thinking of you this week as I'm sure that transition will be so hard. what an amazing thing you do. she is so lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm sorry you have to go through this but you are such an awesome person. you get to be there when a child really needs you and you are angel for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would be so so tough, but what an amazing thing you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, baby C! I'm so sorry your time together is ending, but you should be so proud that you gave her one of the best first years, ever!! She'll carry that with her forever:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww. So hard. Sending positive thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. new[est] follower...after reading this post, I've spent a good 20min going through the rest of your posts...can't wait to keep following along. sending prayers and thoughts your way today.

    stop by sometime.
    kalobandelise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This brought tears to my eyes!! My mommy hormones are taking over... But you are in my thoughts and prayers. You're such an amazing person for devoting your life to these children that need you so much!

    Hugs,
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sad! The good news- you have a niece coming that you can experience these things annnnd you can come see/ take her anytime you want! :-) That doesn't replace C but hey I tried.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a feeling that she will remember you! I remember things from when I was a baby and my dad was surprised when I could describe them in detail. I hope that she will be okay and big hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!