Friday, March 19, 2010

Gilmore Generation

My generation, whether we admit or not, is a part of the Gilmore generation.

What is the Gilmore generation, you might wonder?
It's a little theory of mine that has been swirling around my mind for a little while now.
The majority of my generation (every girl and probably 1/2 of the guys) grew up watching Gilmore Girls. If you don't know, that show is about the lives of a mother and daughter, with a mere 17 years between them. They are each other's best friend and have a bond like no other mother/daughter pair ever on television. I grew up, like ever other girl addicted to the show, wanting a relationship with my daughter just like that of Lorelai and Rory. Ultimately, I wanted to be a young mother--just like Lorelai. Don't get me wrong, I didn't want to have a child at 17, I imagined having a child around 21. My mom is 35 years older than me, so obviously there is a big age difference. I didn't want that big of an age difference between me and my daughter. But, at the age of 20, I have realized I still have dreams that need to be accomplished before I have kids. The ultimate truth is, my mom is my best friend--we have a relationship close to that of Lorelai and Rory's, even with the age difference.

How do you know my theory is legit? I'll give you 2 examples:
1. Look at the people you graduated with, how many of them already have kids? I graduated almost 3 years ago, and off the top of my head, I can think of at least 6 people who already have kids. That's a lot considering our class only had 50 people in it.
2. Go google the Pregnancy Pact. These young girls, allegedly planned to get pregnant together so that they could all raise their kids together.

This theory may seem absolutely absurd to you, but I honestly think Gilmore Girls had an impact on all these young births. That and misuse of birth control (which is beside the point lol). Just to clarify, I am not a Gilmore Girls hater--it is one of my favorite shows.

On another note...I have been sick all of my Spring Break :(. It sucks. My allergies have been going crazy and since I can't have antihistamines, nothing seems to be helping. I felt like I was going to die. But alas, I can somewhat breathe today and feel as though I will survive. Too bad I couldn't have felt better last night, then I wouldn't have had to cancel my date :(

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand what you're saying with this! I was going to write a big long comment with how much I agree, but I just decided to blog about it. Haha.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!