Thursday, February 25, 2010

You May Collect Your $200 and Pass Go

When a light turns from green to yellow, do you slow down or speed up?
When you're driving through a school zone, do you watch for children or cops?

I have realized that I am rushing through life, and I shouldn't be. How did I realize this, you may wonder? While driving to Subway for lunch today, the traffic light turned to yellow and I found myself speeding up. I was no more hungry that usual, so why was I in a hurry to get food? If you know me at all, you know I eat 24/7...I take full advantage of my fast metabolism. I know one day, it'll catch up to me and I'll get fat (as was so rudely pointed out by my boss this morning as I was devouring a cinnamon roll), but I'll worry about it when it happens.
Upon further consideration, I realized I do this EVERY time I see a yellow light. The agitation of having to sit at a red light and wait my turn is overwhelming for me. I would rather speed through the yellow light and risk getting pulled over or causing a wreck, than sit at the light.

Every day, I pass an elementary school which has a speed limit of 25. The normal speed limit on this road is 35; the Lana speed on this road is around 43. During school hours, I find myself going the normal speed limit (35), feeling as though it is a fair compromise. However, I know I'm in the wrong because the whole time, I'm looking all around for cops; my eyes are planted in that rear view mirror. I don't figure this compromise will go over too well when I get pulled over and explain my reasoning to the cop, but I'll worry about that when it happens. My question is, why do we speed through school zones looking for cops? The purpose of the lower speed limit is to protect the kids; however, we are too busy with our lives to slow down for their protection. Instead, we selfishly speed through looking for cops...NOT KIDS...what's wrong with this picture?

Why am I in such a hurry to rush through life?

I am blessed in the fact that I am healthy and have an AMAZING family; I should be enjoying every day of my life. Lol. Even though I have such a mundane schedule…

From now on, I’m going to enjoy my life and the craziness and spontaneity that it contains. No longer will I speed through school zones looking for cops and speed up for yellow lights.

Well…let’s be practical; if you know me at all, you know how I drive and you also know this is just wishful thinking lol.

After years of tediously planning every detail of my life, I have come to realize NONE of my plans actually work out. Lol. So…I just shoot for the moon and happily land amongst the stars, living each day to it’s fullest.

I could look at the things I want to accomplish in my life (which is A LOT—I have a never-ending Bucket List, kinda like that show “The Buried Life” lol). Instead, I want to focus on what I have done. For being so young, I have accomplished a lot in my lifetime:

I have read the entire Bible (in under a year, I might add ;))

I have gone on many mission trips

I have potty-trained an uncountable number of children (pretty impressive for a child-less bachelorette ;))

l have been to 1/3 of the 50 states (I’m shooting for all 50)

I have been out of the country (this summer will make 2 times)

I have helped many strangers

I am a published author (I was published at the age of 5)

I wrote an article that made front page, above the fold

I have attended 6 colleges (I know, that’s not an accomplishment but it’s still pretty cool lol)

I own around 75 pairs of shoes (pretty impressive, I know lol)

I know how to weld

I have gone sky diving

And many other things I can’t think of right now…lol


I am going to slow down not only my driving speed, but also my speed through life. In my short 20 years, I have accomplished a lot and I have MANY more years to complete my bucket list, so why rush?

Btw, I HATE Monopoly (the title was fitting though)

AAANNNNDDDDD....my fingers are going numb because they're crossed so tightly

Hope you have a great Hooker Boot Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!