Saturday, May 18, 2013

Childhood Memories



Day 18, Saturday: Tell a story from your childhood. Dig deep and try to be descriptive about what you remember and how you felt.

I had an amazing childhood, so it would be nearly impossible for me to narrow it down to one great story; so I will tell you three things about my childhood, which according to many people, I logically should have been too young to remember.


Memory #1: I distinctly remember having chicken pox on my 1st birthday. I don't remember the pain of chicken pox or anything about my birthday party. What I do remember, is that my mom creatively put red stickers on my baby doll to make it look like she had chicken pox, too. She was so excited to show me and thought it would make me feel better. I remember her sitting down on the ugly floral print couch that sat in front of the picture window in the living room and handing me my baby doll and I distinctly remember throwing an absolute temper tantrum, screaming bloody murder until she promptly removed the stickers. I couldn't stand the thought of my baby doll not being perfect. Looking back, I probably broke my mom's heart on that very day.
I described this scenario to my mom a few years ago and she was shocked that I not only remembered the occurrence, but could describe it with such accuracy. Child genius, I tell you! 


Memory #2: We went to my grandmother's house several times a week, so I have lots of memories from her house. My PaPaw passed away before my 2nd birthday, but I remember running in through the garage door, turning the kitchen corner, and looking up to see if he was sitting in his chair. I LOVED my PaPaw and always wanted him to hold me. He was always afraid he'd hurt me, so he rarely held me without first placing me on a pillow.  I so wish I had gotten to grow up with him in my life!


Memory #3: I had full-blown Scarlet Fever when I was a few years old. The doctors were so shocked that I had it because it was so rare. I remember feeling awful and I remember my skin peeling EVERYWHERE. Imagine the worst sunburn you've ever had, add in a fever and you can somewhat understand what it was like! I remember that my brothers used to physically rip the skin off my body--it wasn't painful, but definitely wasn't fun.  

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. SCARLET FEVER!! That sounds like something you shouldn't have lived through. haha

    To be honest, I'm surprised any of us survived our childhoods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHA?!?!? Scarlet fever? I thought that was one of those diseases that killed most people? Such a happy thought, right? Hahaaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post :) you must have a really good memory! :)

    http://magicinacupcake.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scarlet fever? OH MY!

    And oh those darn chicken pox :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scarlet fever?! Do you also have a time machine?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!