Wednesday, May 22, 2013

My Soapbox



Day 22, Wednesday: Rant about something. Get up on your soapbox and tell us how you really feel. (a pet peeve, a current event, a controversial topic, something your husband or roommate or neighbor or boss does that really ticks you off)

When I thought about this topic last week, I had a difficult time figuring out what I would blog about...seeing as I'm someone who is very easily annoyed, I could rant about a lot of things!


Topics I thought about: 

People who live off the government.

People who abuse kids.

People who don't seem to know what birth control is, which results in a cycle of them having TONS of kids and living off the government, then their kids growing up to do the same thing (I know this is a rare occurrence, but nevertheless--annoying).
 
Terrorists/murderers and how I feel like the families who lose loved ones should be able inflict physical pain on these people.

People who lie.

People who have no manners/children who have no manners.

People who curse around their children/allow their children to curse.

The list goes on and on...


However, in light of the recent events in Oklahoma, i'm having a hard time thinking about or talking about anything but the tornadoes. So today I'm going to rant about things related to national disasters (specifically, tornadoes):

1. Why do people find it necessary to try to scam other people? There are people who have lost loved ones/possessions/homes, yet there are people who have set up fake bank accounts or made up stories to get people to make donations that don't actually make it to any victims. Instead, your hard-earned donated money goes in some greedy person's pocket (who is probably sitting on their unemployed bum waiting on the government to send them checks). I honestly don't understand how people could be so heartless and take advantage of people like that, but it seems to happen ALL the time.

2. Why do looters exist? I know looters were bad after Katrina, the Joplin tornadoes, and Sandy (just to name a few), and they have already arrested looters in Oklahoma. WHY in the world do people think this is a good idea? People have just lost their belongings and homes and many cannot even get into their neighborhoods to sift through the remains before looters can get there. I know Law Enforcement is doing everything they can to prevent this occurrence, but it shouldn't be a problem!! 
Side note: Don't forget that we are an Open Carry State. Let's get a few people up there to protect the remains of these homes, I bet that will take care of this problem REAL quick! 
(for the record, I do not find violence an answer to every problem, but I do find it to be a solution to some problems)

3. Why do people feel the need to sightsee and take pictures of the disaster areas? It took my brother almost 5 hours to make a 25 minute commute home because traffic was SO backed up and they were having to ID people to prove their residency. 
(which my brother has yet to update since moving to Moore BTW)  

4. Why does our government cover the cost for federal inmates to sit in prison with heating and air conditioning, cable, and 3 meals a day while we can't make sure that all schools/daycares in Oklahoma have basements/cellars to protect the children of Oklahoma? Can we please get a ballot to select where our hard-earned tax dollars are applied?

5.  This isn't a complaint, but I would like to get on a soapbox to thank everyone for their outpourings of support. I keep seeing news reports about celebrities (ahem *Kevin Durant*), corporations, and organizations making LARGE donations to the disaster relief. I cannot say enough good things about these kind-hearted citizens. Not to mention the millions of people across the world sending donations and keeping the victims and their families in their thoughts and prayers. At the end of the day, despite the horrible people who take advantage of these situations, our state country always manages to pull together in times of need to show support. I'm so glad to be an Oklahoman, and more importantly, an American. 

God Bless the USA!

 

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Giiiiiiiiiirl I'm with you. I don't understand people not using BC. If you are in a crappy $$$ situation, us BC or don't have seksi time, it's really not that hard!

    And 100% with you on the natural disaster stuff. So sad people try to hurt those already in pain.

    BUT there are good people out there ready and willing to help!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is simply amazing! You are so right on and I hope that we as a country can make changes and get back on track!!! Heart you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great rants!! i agree with this,i don't looters,etc,it boggles my mind!!

    hope your brother is doing alright and able to recover from that horrible disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  4. annoys the hell outta me the looting and taking pictures of disaster, same with some news reporters just trying to get the most awful picture they can get

    ReplyDelete
  5. And in the worst friend ever.... I hope your family is ok! I totally spaced! I'm sorry:(

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!